Time: 35-40 minutes
-½ cup Semolina rice
-1 ½ cups hot water
-4 Tbsp. Sunflower oil
-¼ tsp. Mustard Seeds
-1 small green Chili
-8-10 Curry leaves
-Small piece fresh Ginger - to make 1 tsp. paste
-½ tsp. salt
1. Wash and grind ginger root to a paste, using either a food processor
or mortar & pestle.
2. Wash and drain semolina rice.
3. Boil the water and set aside.
4. In a heavy pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds, chili, and curry
5. When the mustard seeds pop, add semolina rice and mix well.
6. Add ginger paste and salt.
7. Stir continuously until semolina rice turns light brown.
8. Don't worry if rice starts to stick. Keep stirring.
9. Remove chili and add hot water. Mix well.
10. Cover pan and cook uppama for 10-13 minutes.
11. It is ready when the water and oil are totally merged into the rice
and the edges turn light brown.