5-6 (14 cutlets)
Preparation Time: 45-60 minutes
-9 medium Potatoes
-4 cups Rice Popcorn - to provide 1 cup powder
-1 tsp. Lemon juice
-Garlic cloves - to make 1 tsp. paste
-Small piece fresh Ginger - to make 1 tsp. paste
-½ tsp. Turmeric powder
-1 ½ tsp. Salt
-Sunflower Oil for cooking
1. Boil potatoes whole with the skin left on in a pressure cooker until
tender, about 15 minutes, or cut into 2. large pieces in a regular pan
for 20-25 minutes.
3. Grind the garlic and ginger to a paste, using either a food processor
or mortar & pestle.
4. Grind the rice popcorn to powder in a blender. Set aside a small
amount to cover the cutlets for frying later.
5. Peel the potatoes and mash. Add lemon juice, garlic, ginger, turmeric
and salt and remaining rice popcorn powder. Mix well.
6. Form cutlets with your hand, making them about 1 cm. thick and 4
cms. Wide. Make them as equal in size as possible.
7. Heat oil in a skillet.
8. Dip each cutlet in the reserved popcorn powder and fry till golden
brown on both sides.
These cutlets go well with date, coriander, or mint chutney.